Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

There and Back Again

I'm going to put up my adventures piece by piece, so here we go.

Today, I woke up after a restless four hours of sleep to find I may not have a way to reach Linnea's house in Sweden.  In a panicked frenzy, Camille, Jacqueline and I tried to buy train tickets online but to no avail.  We agreed to just buy them upon our arrival, and we began the half hour walk to the train station.  There is nothing quite like seeing a town at 5 am, after most people have returned from bars and clubs and before the early risers head off to work.  We walked across town and arrived at the train station by about 5:40.  When we got there, we learned that our train had been canceled and they could offer us two trains to get to Paris an hour later therefore without time to get to our shuttle to the airport.  As the train company would not provide payment for a taxi for us, we decided this was the best we could get.  We arrived in Lyon and waited for about half an hour to get on our TGV to Paris.  I know that I don't stay upset long, but my irritation and worry hadn't left me since we left Saint-Etienne.  I fell asleep to the sunrise, and when I awoke an hour later, with Coldplay singing in my ear and the French countryside rushing past me, along with the knowledge that I would see Karl and Linnea soon, I realized that my annoyance had melted with the warmth of the sunlight.

The French countryside is truly so beautiful.  We pass small lakes surrounded by trees which remind me a bit of The King's Stilts by Dr. Suess, wide farmlands somehow different than the cornrows of the Midwest, and everything so green and lovely I can hardly take it in.  Here's to my European adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment