Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Swedish Train Rides

Well, this trip has started off pretty poorly.  We've had so many problems with transportation, it makes me want to cry.  We took the bus to the first train, and it was going fine.  I ended up sitting next to a Swedish guy who spoke English, and we were just talking about Sweden, where we were from and things like that.  He was a very amiable fellow and even offered me a beer, which I declined.  He liked making jokes, which weren't always funny, but he laughed at them.  Once or twice, I turned around to ask Karl a question and the guy (Lawrence?  Something like that, only in Swedish) kept saying that I was a very nice girl and petted my arm.  In the half hour or so that I was with him, he probably polished off a beer and a half.  At one point, he said that my friend was very lucky.  I then had to assure him that Karl was just a friend, not a boyfriend.  He laughed and said "Yes, there are 'just friends' but that doesn't mean they don't f*** around!"  I didn't laugh and explained to him that things like that were offensive, not funny.  He apologized sincerely and said that he misread me.  What that means, I don't know exactly.  We kept talking and he asked what I was studying and what I wanted to do.  Once again, I got to face the confused looks that accompany my explanation that I'm a BTS and French major and want to have a bakery.  He asked if baking was something the church required.  I didn't totally understand what he meant, and I told him that I want to have a bakery because I want to care for people.  I guess he meant "Is caring for people something required by the church?"  I started to explain that yes, it is the point of the church, when he said "This is a very good conversation.  But, excuse me, I have to use the toilet.  Don't drink my beer while I'm gone."  Unfortunately, he didn't return before I had to get off the train to catch the next one.  It was quite an experience.
Right now, I'm sitting on a train (not moving) and it's the second to last one before I get to Linnea's.  The last train had to skip our train station and they took us on a bus to the next train stop.  We had to wait in the cold for almost 45 minutes, and we still have to take another train after this.  If there ever was a time to have a teleportation device, this would be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment