Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thanks

I don't think I have ever been more blessed by a family than I have with the Hadleys.  Charlotte and I were planning on meeting up for drinks before heading to Bible study with Sandy, but for various reasons, Bible study got canceled tonight.  So, I sent Charlotte a text saying I was bummed that we wouldn't hang out today.  Shortly after, I got a call from Wendy (Charlotte's mom) inviting me over to their house for dinner tonight.  I was surprised by this, considering today is Wayne's birthday, and I figured they would want to do a family thing.  Of course, I said yes, and was excited to meet up with Charlotte beforehand.
While waiting on a park bench, listening to my favorite Christmas song, two people came up to me and asked if they could talk to me.  They looked nice enough, and I figured they were trying to sell me something.  Within moments, I realized that they were Jehovah's Witnesses.  I tried to explain in the gentlest way possible that I was a Christian, I had my Bible with me, and that one of my majors is Biblical Studies.  When I said this, the man looked shocked and wanted to shake my hand.  I thought, "Great, now they'll leave me alone!"  That, however, only seemed to encourage them more into convincing me my ways were misled and that the real deal was through becoming a Jehovah's witness.  Thankfully, Charlotte arrived and after a longer sales pitch (as that is what it felt like), I finally looked at my phone and said that Ben was waiting for us.  The couple thanked us for our time, wished us luck with our studies, and left to find more lost souls.  Now, I don't want to come off as hateful, because I do love everyone, and I respect different beliefs.  However, I do not agree with the idea that faith can be sold, which is what this couple was trying to do.  You cannot sell a relationship, and that is what I have with Jesus Christ.  Alright, I'm going to start getting preachy if I keep going.
Anyway, Charlotte and I ran a few errands, went for hot chocolate at Cafe Life, and then headed out to meet Wayne and Ben.  I always am so happy when I am with that family, I can't even say.  It was-and is-overwhelming at times because they each have poured into my life more than I thought was possible.  I've only known them for a month, and already it seems like they've been part of my life for years.  So, we enjoyed a lovely dinner of KFC, had some birthday dessert, and then I got to introduce them to s'mores!  I had to improvise with the graham crackers, so I used thin cookies, but the outcome was still quite good.  Charlotte, Wendy, and I watched an episode of Friends while the guys watched some youtube videos.  It was a lovely evening, and I am so incredibly thankful that I have that family in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment