Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Rainy Day in Saint-Etienne

Today, the public transportation is protesting.  The government wants to raise the retirement age from 55.  So, a few months ago, everyone decided they were going to protest today.  They'll be back up and going tomorrow though.  They picked quite a day for it, as it is raining for the first time since I've been here. 
So, Laura, Camille, Riley, Chole and I went to turn in our last bit of paperwork this morning.  I should have brought my umbrella, as well as some other things like rain boots, a pillow, and some sort of twine so I can hang dry my clothes.  I truly am contemplating hand washing everything in my shower.  It'll save me a few euro.  Man, how cheap do I sound?  Back to the point.  All of my paperwork is now turned in, and I'll have my bank account ready this afternoon.  At the bank where I set up my account (thank goodness Ray came with), you can't deposit money.  We have to go down to centre-ville to another location to deposit it.  It's a bit of a walk, especially in the rain, but at least it will be done.  I haven't taken any pictures since we were in Lyon, and I wish I had taken some at the picnic on Sunday!  I really like my church, and the people there are honestly so wonderful.  I'm going to put up some pictures on facebook, and hopefully I'll have some interesting ones on here too. 
I don't know exactly what else there is to do today, besides the bank, and eating of course.  I'm being very un-French and eating half of a panini that I bought from a boulangerie yesterday for lunch.  It was huge and I couldn't finish it!  People here don't do leftovers, and it's considered poor manners to leave food on your plate.  At least they're not wasteful!
Tomorrow, we have orientation, for real this time.  We're going to see the school, figure out classes I think, and learn about student activities.  It should be great.  If I really don't have anything until the 13th, I kind of am contemplating finding a way to London to see the 'rents and Matthias.  It would be fantastic if I could swing it, but I don't know how many flights to London I can afford.  We'll find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment